Stipends of up to $2000 will be awarded for 2-3 weeks of foreign language study abroad. Sample programs include French in Canada or France, or Spanish in Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala or Puerto Rico over a flexible selection of weeks in summer 2011.
The awardee will be selected by the International Studies Committee and a representative of the Student Senate. Students must be returning to GCCin September 2011, must have completed 12 credits at GCC, and will be asked to give a presentation on their experience upon returning to the college.
An information session will be held Wednesday, March 9 at 12:00pm in N314A to find out more about this opportunity and to get answers to your questions.
Key selection criteria
- Who will benefit most? For whom will it be a life-changing experience?
- Who will be most able to communicate his/her experience?
- Who will be the best representative of the US and respond well to the role?
Preference will be given to those students with no prior international travel experience, but others should still apply.
To apply, students must first submit an essay of not more than 3 double-spaced typed pages. Essays must include contact information: name, address, phone and email. In the essay, applicants should address these questions:
- How does an international experience fit into your personal and career goals?
- How would you describe the US to a citizen of the country you’d like to visit?
Finalists will be selected and will meet with the selection panel to present and discuss their essays. Submit essays to Jan Ross, Humanities Department Office, N328. If you have any questions, please see Kit Carpenter (N325, 1226), Charlotte Gifford (N329, x1227) or Norma Quesada (N221, x1282).
Deadline for essay submission is Wednesday, March 23, 2011.